Officials at Haydock are banking on an improved weather forecast to save their jumps meeting on Friday.
Clerk of the course Kirkland Tellwright inspected the course twice on Thursday and will look again at 7.30 in the morning as the track was still frozen in places.
"We are sweating a bit. It's still unfit in the back straight, but there is a change in the weather forecast so we are going to have one final look early in the morning," he said.
"This change in the weather is going to have to be with us by then.
"The temperatures tomorrow are supposed to get up to 9C. They've not got higher than 3C today.
"It's not supposed to freeze tonight.
"If there isn't a change, we're beat."