Andrew Balding has Newmarket in mind for Beat The Bank

Mon 28 Aug 2017

Beat The Bank will be given a short break before being stepped up in class for the Shadwell Joel Stakes at Newmarket.

Trainer Andrew Balding will turn the attentions of the three-year-old towards the mile Group Two contest at the Rowley Mile on September 29 after he swerved an outing in the Celebration Mile at Goodwood on Saturday.

The gelded son of Paco Boy took his record to four wins from five starts with an impressive success in the Thoroughbred Stakes at Goodwood earlier this month.

Balding said: "We are going to wait for the Joel Stakes with Beat The Bank as it will give him a little bit more time.

"He was very impressive at Goodwood last time, but he was also impressive at Newmarket and the form of that race has worked out well.

"It is shame he is still not entire, but on the other hand he might not be the horse he currently is if he was."

Balding has earmarked the Prix du Cadran for Lonsdale Cup winner Montaly.

The six-year-old, who finished down the field in last year's Prix Royal-Oak on his only previous attempt in Group One company, added to his Chester Cup victory on his seasonal return with a nose defeat of Dartmouth in the Group Two at York.

Balding said: "I was very pleased with his win in the Lonsdale Cup. He is more than likely to now go for the Prix du Cadran (Chantilly, September 30).

"He obviously goes well fresh and we will keep it that way with him.

"He won the Chester Cup off a high enough weight and he deserved his place in the field at York."

Stablemate Blond Me finished runner-up in the Nassau Stakes at Goodwood and is also in contention for an outing in France.

The Kingsclere handler said: "Blond Me is in great form at home and she is more than likely to go for the Prix Vermeille."

A trip to Italy looks to be on the cards for surprise Sussex Stakes winner Here Comes When before a potential tilt at the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot on British Champions Day.

Balding added: "He has got the entry in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes, but he will probably go to Italy first on September 24 for the Premio Vittorio di Capua.

"It was a Group One, but like most of the races in Italy it has been downgraded to a Group Two.

"The big attraction about going there is that he escapes a penalty."

More Latest News

Loading...
This video is playing in Picture-In-Picture. Click to Exit.
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.