Cecil: ‘Prix Moulin bid is questionable’
Thursday 2 August 2012
Frankel has come out of his Qipco Sussex Stakes romp with flying colours and is firmly on course for the Juddmonte International at York later this month.
Sir Henry Cecil's unbeaten superstar took his winning run to 12 at Glorious Goodwood as he repeated his victory of last year in the Group One mile event. He will now step up to a mile and a quarter for the first time on August 22, in a race sponsored by his owner, Khalid Abdullah.
"I was delighted with Frankel on Wednesday in the Sussex Stakes. He has grown up a lot mentally and took it all like a true professional," Cecil told his website.
"The idea was to be as easy as we could with him as it was a warm-up to the Juddmonte International at York. He seems to have come out of the race really well and is on course for the Knavesmire."
Fans of Frankel could get to see him in action on September 16, in the Prix du Moulin at Longchamp, before he finishes his racing career at Ascot in October.
A run in France is not certain, however.
Cecil said: "He will finish off his racing career at Ascot on Champions Day in the Champion Stakes or Queen Elizabeth II Stakes.
"Whether, with the gap between York and Ascot, he contests the Prix du Moulin is questionable. Maybe it will be beneficial leading up to Ascot but we will see. Frankel will tell me what course I should take."